Tuesday, September 4, 2012

MADRID, Spain - Day 1


On Sunday, we began our long awaited trek to Madrid.  Embarking on our fifth and sixth, dreaded flights of the week of travel.  Our taxi was arranged by the pretty hotel Greek lady to arrive at 5:30 for transfer to the airport.  As I left the hotel around 5:20 to find a mailbox, the driver was already waiting outside.  I explained to him what I was doing and he offered to quickly run me up the street to the box.  I apprehensively got in the cab alone (fearing possible death), but realized that by killing me he would only loose at hefty taxi fare and gain a handful of personalized postcards.  I concluded I was safe!  Once back, we loaded our bags and took off for the airport.  The airport of Santorini is about the size of Springfield’s, I guess, but has the security of an airport in Auburn… They didn’t even mention my bags being both over-weight and over-sized, nor did the one employee even glance at the screen as my suitcase passed through the x-ray.  One lady even hesitated as she beeped going through the metal detector and he told her to “keep moving.”  Dan said, good thing Al Qaida doesn’t fly from Thira…  This was just the reverse of last Thursday’s travel, with a short 30-minute flight back to Athens, then another pass through stricter, but kinder security there.  We headed to the gate of our Madrid flight, which was due to board at 8:45.  At around 8:50, I glanced at the screen at the gate for the first time and suffered a mini-stroke.  The screen said Agean, while our tickets were labeled Olympic Air, both major airlines in Greece, but definitely not one in the same.  I ran to the counter as people were beginning to line up and could not find our flight information anywhere.  Lauren joined me in the panic and some nice people near us helped us out.  Turns out, we were at the correct gate and the flight was simply operated by Agean.  There was a small Agean number listed in the corner of the boarding pass that I never would have seen.  The gate agent confirmed this and we boarded the flight as my heart rate returned to normal.  I slept on and off throughout the flight and at one point decided to look through my dumb iPhone videos, many of Jenna and Courtney and I at concerts, one of my nana bobbing in the pool and many more of friends at SLU.  I guess I was just going out of my way to evoke some homesickness. Haha!  Afterwards, we got a small breakfast, which was better than anything in the States.  That has become a common occurance here in Europe.  Even on the short flight from Santorini, we received more of a meal than we would have on any American plane.  When the flight landed in Madrid, I stopped to put in my contact and rinse off my face, while we waited for Dan to get off from the very back of the plane.  We headed to baggage claim, picked up our things and were relived that throughout all 6 flights and all the commotion, we successfully ended up in Madrid with all of our luggage!  The three of us left the baggage claim, to find Ross waiting for us.  He had arrived in Madrid earlier, but decided just to wait in the airport in order to go to the host family home together.  We put Lauren into a cab, made sure that her driver knew the address of her home and she was gone!  The three of us piled into a Prius cab and chatted during the rather long ride our apartment, which is located near SLU’s campus, in the northwest area of the city, Paseo de San Francisco de Sales 16.  We nervously pushed the button of apartment 7B and our host mother, Pilar, buzzed us through the entry gate into the courtyard.  From there we had to ring her again for entry into the actual apartment building.  I took the tiny elevator up with all the luggage and Dan and Ross climbed the seven flights of stairs!  Pilar greeted us with a Spanish kiss on each cheek, then sat us in the dining room to chat and get aquainted.  From the bat, she was super-kind, but honestly speaks no English! Therefore, virtually every word out of her mouth has to be translated through me and then shared with Ross and Dan.  It allowed she and I to get rather close, but sort of sucks for the other two since they cannot actually communicate with her.  We found out this is a problem with every person in every household, so it should get better.  The next thing we noticed was that instead of being set up for a three person home, there were four beds, meaning only one thing – we had a random fourth roommate coming!  We were nervous initially, but eventually Dan volunteered to room with him in the slightly better room, while Ross and I would room together in the other, smaller room.  All she knew was that his name was Alex, which really didn’t help much.  We got setup on wifi and began reconnecting with home for really the first time in week.  Afterwards, Pilar left, telling us she was going to meet some friends for “una copa” or a drink.  We decided to head out in search of some food and a drink of our own, but we no more began walking down the street and saw a guy, alone, walking towards the apartment and decided it had to be Alex, our roommate.  Since Pilar was gone, we assumed he would be trapped outside.  We trailed him creepily back to the apartment and followed him up – not sure how he even got in.  Sure enough, it was him and Pilar had known when he would arrive, so we didn’t even need to return.  Either way, we got his story at that point.  He is a student at Loyola Merimount in LA, originally from Chicago area.  His parents are Polish, so he speaks Polish and even has Polish citizenship.  He has been in Europe for a week, alone, with a rail pass, traveling around multiple countries.  Very brave to me!  He speaks Spanish well, despite only taking formal classes in high school.  He said picking up the third language has been much easier and he is even taking a few courses in Spanish.  Pilar asked if we wanted to eat “en casa” our out on our own for dinner.  We decided that since we were already back, we should just take the free meal and maybe go out later.  She prepared a salad with really no dressing but olive oil, some rice, which was very good and some super thin pieces of beef and pork – super thin.  The meal barely put a dent in my stomach, but it was better than nothing.  We planned on going out to meet up with friends, but were so exhausted from all of the travel, that we decided to stay home and rest for the next day’s activities.  We all got to do some skyping.  Dan spoke to his parents and siblings.  I skyped my mom, freshly rolled out of bed, then both of my parents later, then I even got to FaceTime with my Nana and Papa at the hospital.  It was great to see them and my Papa’s awesome recovery!  Ross skyped with Sarah back at SLU and we all got to see and hang out with Sarah, Hannah, Annette, Jane and Wolf.  What a fun first night in Madrid! 



No comments:

Post a Comment